Monday, March 02, 2009

My Laptop Bag : Ikea Fabrics

I couldn't find a laptop bag I liked in the stores, they were either black and boring or bloody expensive, so making one was a pretty good idea. Since I have a few yards of precious Ikea fabric stash, I decided to make one with a set of tea towels and a favourite piece from the discount bin.

The striped materials were actually a set of 3 tea towels.

Front view of the bag. I made it like a messenger bag, except for the extra paddings at the base.

Magnetic clasp and big pockets for documents and of course, wires!

Next time I'll make the cover stiffer. See, I'm still learning.

The inside of the bag. I made the padding-envelope removable when I'm not carrying my laptop around. The padding is the one with the polka dot ribbon bias strips. There's another pocket inside for more storage space.

Side view of bag. The lines on the fabric really helped in aligning everything!

The bottom of the bag.

I think I'll be making more to sell. Need to stop by at Ikea's for more fabric stash. LOL!

15 comments:

Ciyou said...

all those fabric u got from ikea? looks great~~

The Heart of Paul said...

OMG I am awed! Congratulations Mel on that beautiful laptop bag!

Astrid said...

WOW! It's gorgeous!!! Beautiful fabrics and work! You are so talented!

Anonymous said...

Love it --- it's SO CUTE! You may want to rethink the magnetic clasp. The magnet could mess with your hard drive. :)

pamela said...

Hi. Got here from the Craft website. This is great. My favorite thing is that there aren't any lousy nylon zippers to get fouled as happened to my boring, black, expensive lap-top bag. Are you planning on publishing a pattern?

mandijane said...

Hi ended up here following a linked trail from twitter but have to say you're now bookmarked for a regular follow...
Absolutely LOVE the laptop bag...it's fabulous and with an IKEA on my back doorstep I'm off to find some fabric right now...
Brilliant. Mandi x

peperoncinoconmiele said...

complimenti!!! hai un bellissimo blog e bellissimi capolvori!!! (italy)

Anonymous said...

love it! but one thing.......would not the magnetic clasp de-focus the computer? magnets are not supposed to be near computer, because it could over power it. maybe it is not a strong enough magent?

staceyhoff said...

This is a BEAUTIFUL bag!


People will be asking you where you bought it!

I want one in pink and brown when your ready to make some to sell ;)

Unknown said...

Love it! Did you have a pattern that you followed or did you create the pattern?

Anonymous said...

sigh...... I am going to move to a city, just so I have an IKEA close by :-( Oh well, there's still the catalog! This is adorable!

Ginger said...

What a great bag! Looked like a fun party too!Enjoyed you blog very much!

Anna said...

Very cute! Great job!

Unknown said...

hello yoonie.. i really like the laptop bag that u made! will u be selling it??

lucky said...

What a creative design!I am fond of this laptop bag!