Thursday, May 07, 2009

Crochet Catch-Up May : How do you dress an Elephant?

Edmund's baby is turning 1 this Saturday and we decided to make Ethan an Elephant softie. After scouting around for the perfect packerderm, I was set on making one right away. Here is 'Eli!'...
Amigurumi's are really cool to make. I don't have a pattern for this, it was really free form crochet.
I learnt a terrible lesson working on Eli. I totally broke the head-off my clover plastic needle. Boo-Hoo!!! Never use a plastic crochet needle for amigurumis. Thank goodness for my old faithful Tulip crochet needle.
The shirt was crocheted right on the body to get the exact size right. Cannot imagine stuffing the shirt through that huge cute head.

The shirt is 100% cotton yarn I got from Spotlight. Eli looks like he's wearing the rainbow.

I love this last part. Embellishing Eli with buttons!!! I combined a white flower shaped button with a itsy bitsy brown one for the eye. Check out the lashes. I used DMC embroidery threads and of course made sure I secure them buttons for extra safety.

Getting the eye to match the other side was easy if you look at the lines of your crochet, if they correspond it'll be just like cross-stitch.

Meet Eli the Crocheted Elephant.

The Teddy on Eli's shirt. We took a while deciding on the best button for his shirt.

The little micro button for the sleeves, sure add a little special touch to the shirt. I love t-shirts with buttons on the sleeves. They remind me of my favourite blouses when I was a kid.

HAPPY 1st BIRTHDAY ETHAN!!!

9 comments:

Emily said...

Wow! what else can I say? its already fabulous for the color purple alone and double wow for the finishing touches! Did Great with this!

BizeeBeeCreations said...

I love Eli! Yoonie you deserve a gold star for this creation! Now where do you have this for sale??? Or when will you post the "how-to" pattern?

Sheene said...

i love ELI!!! if you have the time we'd appreciate a pattern.. i really hope you do.. id like to make one for my soon to come niece.. thanks in advance..
hugs,
sheene

busymum100 said...

Oh, Mel!

Your fingers are golden lah!
Sooo cute...

June said...

Mel,

I marvel how you could just crochet away, making up the pattern as you go. Super talented. Your friend's son is so lucky.

Jace said...

You have a very nice blog and you're so talented. :) The range of crafts you can do just boggles my mind - keep up the fantastic job!

https://indoorplantspotsanddoilies.blogspot.com/ said...

Too cute
I will have to show my daughter this post she will love the little elephant;-)

sW33tdARLiNG said...

uuhh amaze!!!

Ummi-Izah said...

hi yoonie...


I do envy you because I do not know how to crochet...This is really WOW to me ^_^